Often times people tell me that they have some mold in the basement or a musty basement smell and so they want to get their basement waterproofed. Most people believe that basement mold is due to a leaky basement but many times it is not. There are many factors that can contribute to mold in the basement and that nasty musty basement smell.
High humidity is natural in basement spaces. Basements are the lowest point in the home and humidity in the air is heavy. This heavy humidity will naturally settle into the basement space and it lays at the bottom like a fog with no where to go. With no ventilation the humidity creates an ideal environment for the mold to grow on things that are fibrous in nature. Boxes, painted walls, wood and other stored items especially those stored on the floor will be great food for the mold and mildew to grow developing that unwanted odor.
If you have water held in your basement walls this may contribute to the mold growth as well. This would not usually happen with unpainted walls however. Mold needs something fibrous to grow into, and that is usually the paint on the walls. Mold due to water in basement walls is obviously more serious than mold due to high humidity levels.
Installing a ventilation system to eliminate the conditions allowing the mold to grow in the basement like a Humidex unit may be all you need. These units will create an air exchange of the basement air up to six times per hour by drawing healthy air from upstairs and expelling stale air from the basement to the outside of the home.
More serious conditions may be solved with either interior basement waterproofing or exterior basement waterproofing. You should have a professional basement waterproofing contractor evaluate your foundation and recommend the basement solutions that fit your specific needs.
If you would like to get additional information or for a no pressure consultation call 1-877-321-4889